With the warmer weather upon us, now is the perfect time to get out in your garden to ensure it’s ready for the warmer weather. We all know that now is the time to be pruning, mulching, fertilising and having a general tidy up, but here are some creative ideas you might not know about gardening:
1. Cut up banana peels and bury them around your rosebushes to add potassium and phosphorus to the soil.
2. Did you know that lint from your clothes dryer can be added to the compost pile or tilled into your garden to help the soil retain moisture?
2. For stronger colour roses, sprinkle ½ cup epsom salts around each mature rose bush.
4. Pour boiling water on weeds growing in the cracks in cement. It will kill the weeds and any seeds that might be hiding there too.
5. If you are planting a large pot, fill the bottom with recycled foam chips or pieces of styrofoam before adding soil. You’ll need less to fill it and the pot will be lighter and easier to move.
6. After bulbs bloom cut and remove the flower stalk but allow the leaves to yellow as they provide nutrients for the bulb for next year’s flowers.